commodityfetishx: (Default)
[personal profile] commodityfetishx
"commodity fetish is a sociology term coined by karl marx after the industrial revolution as an explanation for how our relationship to capital & consumption is a stand-in for our relationships with people. as more & more items became mass produced, it became easier & normalized to mass purchase more products. by enforcing that people desire purchased objects to relate to each other, capitalism continues to thrive on consumption & has led us to the point of over consumption even if we still feel empty inside."
"i know. you talk about this all the--"
"as we reach end stage capitalism, consumption evolves to overtake all of our needs. it is no longer solely tangible purchased items that individuals feel the desire to consume in order to relate to one another, it is now expected that the desire to consume each other falls to the wayside as our desire for consuming items grows."
"yeah i get it! can we move on to something else?"
"sorry, you know end stage capitalism is my special interest."
"yeah i do, you're so weird."
"thanks. we don't have to talk about commodity fetish anymore. we can walk about commodities or fetishes, you choose."
"oh brother, making me talk dirty in public must be your special interest, too. let's switch to spanish so less people clutch their pearls."

we're on a crowded bus in thailand, somewhere between a small town & a beach, which could be almost anywhere in thailand. this is my first trip abroad, but not jake's. we are 30 years old, single (though many people think we are an item), & he invited me to tag along on this cross planet road trip; of course i said yes. not only because we're thirty years old & i've never left north america; or because we're single but everyone thinks we're an item (including me sometimes); but also because i had had enough of our country, i wanted to go far far away; because i love thai food, i could eat it every day. to prepare for the trip, i learn some thai vocab. "hello." "thank you." "vegan". i struggle with the tones of a tonal language. i struggle with the gender of a gendered language. but most people speak english so i get along just fine.

the bus continues bumping along, so does our spanglishmostlyspanishbutsometimesmadeupwords dirty talk. "¿cómo te gusta cojer? ¿cúal es tu liquido de cuerpo favorito, el pis o el sweat o la saliva? ¿prefieres pan o verga? ¿eres un bajo o un top?"

as much as i am enjoying consuming the foods & cultures & beaches & life in general in thailand, i am enjoying consuming jake even more. we share a bed in the punk hostel in bangkok; we get around the no stop light island of ko tao on a motorbike, me riding bitch; i drink in the color of his eyes (dirty green) at sunset & the scent of his body wash (clean but still sweaty) after a shower & the sound of his guitar & clarinet (both tinny) that of course he brought from continents away. it's just the two of us for weeks, doing everything together-- minus that one night he was in a bad mood so i fucked the russian punk i met on the roof in an alley between the hostel & the 711. afterwards i go back to the bar on the ground floor where i hope to find jake. there he is, drunk, chatting with the workers in his broken thai & their broken english. we do whip its until we can't stand, then we somehow make the trek up the four flights of stairs in the staggering humidity, where we crash all morning until we're woken up by the russian punk fucking his girlfriend in the room next to ours.

"you know, 'fetish' no longer holds the same definition or denotation as it did when the phrase was coined. a 'fetish' used to be a tangible item that held important spiritual significance & was worthy of worship, nowadays it has overt sexual connotations, but i think the evolution of the word makes sense."
"that's actually a fun fact that you haven't told me yet. it does kinda make sense. people worship tangible & intangible items all the time for sexual & not sexual reasons."
"yeah, now 'fetish' is more like the object of desire, a part of a body or identity that is seen as sexual when it inherently isn't. people fetishize feet, trans people, BALLOONS & all kinds of other things that are just normal in most contexts. it is dehumanizing for some people to be the object of fetishization, which can either be a turn on or turn off for them, especially when it does come to worship. but the historical definition of 'fetish' was inherently about non-human objects, while they received worship for their perceived spirituality or godliness. in a lot of ways the definition is exactly the same while also being the complete opposite."
"i've never met anyone that could link fetishes & capitalism as succinctly as you do."
"thanks. it's my special interest."
"you're so weird."
"i know."

Date: 2026-09-21 11:40 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
I have never understood the foot fetish thing. I think it's so nasty.

Also I would love to try authentic Thai food since I love what we get in the states.

Date: 2026-09-24 02:13 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
I hope you find whatever that food is again.

Date: 2026-09-22 05:19 am (UTC)
penpusher: (Feet)
From: [personal profile] penpusher
If you don't mind my interjecting (and honestly, I can't believe I wrote this over twenty years ago), I'm pleased to link it!

Foot Notes It actually spurred some intersting conversations back then, and inspired a series of posts.
Edited Date: 2026-09-23 12:29 am (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-24 02:34 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
That is an interesting post. I haven't thought about it much, probably because I'm not into feet. It's interesting to see how it first develops though. We talked about this in a psychology class I took and other such things like balloons was a big one.

Date: 2026-09-21 04:59 pm (UTC)
scribblesinblue: a gift set of a blue quill pen with a reddish ribbon around it, an inkwell, and a box with a stylized lining (Default)
From: [personal profile] scribblesinblue
i struggle with the tones of a tonal language. i struggle with the gender of a gendered language.

Oh yes, that is definitely a pair of struggles!

Date: 2026-09-21 05:19 pm (UTC)
humanbeansradio: (Default)
From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
This little slice is insightful and real. Enjoyed it.

Date: 2026-09-21 05:35 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
I can definitely connect with the info-dumping about one's special interest!

Date: 2026-09-21 06:03 pm (UTC)
simplyn2deep: (Default)
From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
I really liked how the conversation about commodity fetishism becomes a lens for the entire piece. The narrator is fascinated by consumption in the abstract, but then the trip itself is filled with different kinds of consumption—food, culture, travel, experiences, and especially this complicated relationship with Jake. It made the opening discussion feel less like an explanation added to the story and more like the framework for understanding everything that follows.

I also loved the rhythm between these two characters. Jake has clearly heard the capitalism lecture approximately 4,000 times and still lets the narrator happily wander through it again. 😂 The repeated “it’s my special interest” / “you’re so weird” exchange works especially well because by the end it feels affectionate rather than dismissive. And I thought the observation that the historical and modern meanings of “fetish” can feel simultaneously similar and completely opposite was fascinating. This gave me a lot more to think about than I expected when I started reading!

Date: 2026-09-21 06:04 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I think you (or the main character) and I’d get along well. I find those special interests very interesting too. I also liked the way you told the story here.

Date: 2026-09-21 07:01 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
Mine is fiction and completely unrelated to me this week. I’m just always talking to people about late stage capitalism and funnily enough, fetishes 😂

Date: 2026-09-22 07:36 am (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I just did fiction since I was going to write the piece anyway (part of my book series) and it aligned perfectly. I actually joined this season to write more nonfiction and talk about my special interests more.

Date: 2026-09-22 02:29 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
It isn’t mostly for fiction writers actually! It started out as mostly nonfiction blog style writing. Fiction didn’t come around for a long time. It is pretty popular, but both are welcome. I started out writing nonfiction, but now I mostly write fiction for myself.

Date: 2026-09-22 03:16 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
Welcome :) and yeah, I think Open Topics tend to bring out more fiction. I could be wrong though. I started playing in 2010 and back then, fiction was done but far less popular.

Date: 2026-09-21 10:24 pm (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
i struggle with the tones of a tonal language. i struggle with the gender of a gendered language.
I think the first would be true for most people. Maybe less so for musicians?

The second... is a bane in every language where it applies (most of them). WHY? And German even has 3 of them, including neuter, which should be the ONLY gender. With all of the German vocabulary I remember from decades ago, the genders are long gone. :(

Date: 2026-09-22 03:54 am (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
I totally get the special interest informational overshare - I, too, am that person. It's nice to meet others like that, lol.

There's a nice mixture of consumption and anti-consumption here, of the perceived and the "this is what it really is," and I enjoy this type of structure. Well written for certain! <3

Date: 2026-09-22 04:45 am (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
Haha…The Spanglish! I’m a Spanish teacher/major!

Date: 2026-09-22 04:40 pm (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
Yeah a school friend and I used to use Spanish-Spanglish to talk smack or gossip about ppl back in the day. 😆 it’s kinda how I actually got good at speaking it!

Date: 2026-09-22 05:27 am (UTC)
penpusher: (Default)
From: [personal profile] penpusher
It felt like one of those slob comedy movies, maybe a little more together than "The Hangover Part II" or maybe a spinoff? ha!

I presume you know and understand Rule 34! Certainly lots of special interests to be had all along the way.

This was fun and felt like eavesdropping on your excursions!

Date: 2026-09-23 12:29 am (UTC)
penpusher: (Default)
From: [personal profile] penpusher
Yes Rule 34 is if you can think of it, there is a porn version of it. And for sure anything can be fetishized, sometimes without even trying!

Date: 2026-09-22 07:20 pm (UTC)
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
I think you sound like a very fun person to have conversations with. Also, Thailand/Thai food love!

Date: 2026-09-24 03:12 am (UTC)
purplepetrichor: (Default)
From: [personal profile] purplepetrichor
Talks about one’s special interest are often so… interesting.

Date: 2026-09-24 03:39 am (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
This was so all over the place in the most wonderful way, I loved it. Please, more entries on late stage capitalism!

Date: 2026-09-24 12:30 pm (UTC)
murielle: Me (Default)
From: [personal profile] murielle
A fun and fascinating read.

Thank you! 😀

Date: 2026-09-25 12:15 am (UTC)
inchoatewords: a drawn caricature of the journal user, a brown-haired woman with glasses in a blue shirt, smiling at the viewer (Default)
From: [personal profile] inchoatewords
This was fun and I hope you have a chance to write more about your adventures!

Date: 2026-09-25 04:08 pm (UTC)
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
This reads like a journey of self-discovery in a lot of ways.
of course i said yes. not only because we're thirty years old & i've never left north america; or because we're single but everyone thinks we're an item (including me sometimes);

I enjoyed your writing style, although it occasionally felt like an informational torrent, but in a good way of course. :)

Dan

Date: 2026-09-25 04:16 pm (UTC)
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
Growing up my best friend's mom was Thai. She ALWAYS had fried rice available, and was always trying to shove some down me. (I rarely argued) It wasn't spicy at all, so I don't know if she Americanized it for her husband or for me or both.

You and my eldest would have GREAT conversations about end stage capitalism! :)

Date: 2026-09-26 01:50 am (UTC)
oxymoron67: (Default)
From: [personal profile] oxymoron67
The language thing is spot on.

When I was learning Irish, I had a hard time with the consonant mutations: many grammar things are labelled at the start of the word rather than the end.

Ir was confusing.

Date: 2026-09-26 07:33 pm (UTC)
onda_bianca: (Default)
From: [personal profile] onda_bianca
I can't help but wonder if you and Jake every actually became an item at one point...

...and I LOVED this line: " i drink in the color of his eyes "

Date: 2026-09-26 10:19 pm (UTC)
roina_arwen: Darcy wearing glasses, smiling shyly (Default)
From: [personal profile] roina_arwen
This intrigued me on several levels. Thanks for that!

info

commodityfetishx: (Default)
cochine

September 2026

M T W T F S S
 123456
7 8910111213
141516171819 20
21222324252627
282930